Lot N: 0022
20.5 x 20.5 cm
Set of eight square shaped tiles, the front is in blue underglaze with touches of gold, beneath a transparent glaze, picturing a small house beneath a tree, in the vicinity of a lake, encased in a rhomboid frame, and edges with twining floral ornamentation.
Tiles with the same subject, and thus likely from the same collection, are at the Topkapi Palace of Istanbul, as reported in "Chinese Ceramics in the Topkapi Saray Museum, a complete Catalogue" Vol. III, n. 2187, p. 1020.
Identical tiles are also in St. James church in Jerusalem, where they were added during the 1726/27 renovation, while others were in the St. Gregory the Illuminator church, now destroyed (cf. John Carswell, "Kutahya Tiles and Pottery from the Armenian Cathedral of St. James, Jerusalem", Vol.II, 1972, fig. 7I16E).